We are thrilled to announce our 2014 limited release spirit, SommerWeizen! This amazing spirit is (finally) making its first appearance in July 2014.
Inspired by friends in the brewing world, our distilling team created an abstract interpretation of that classic summer staple, the Hefeweizen beer. Rather than simply distilling a beer, we distilled hops and other botanicals and blended them into a wheat whiskey we made specifically for this endeavor.
The idea for SommerWeizen came from the distillery’s very first employee, Liz Cooper, who has been with the company since 2007. Along with being one of the company’s distillers, Liz is an avid home brewer and loves great beer, including Hefeweizens. Liz worked closely with Derek on every step of the process to develop and perfect SommerWeizen.
Only 822 bottles were made, and when they’re gone, this spirit will be gone.
- With delicate hop, fruit and wheat character, this spirit presents the classic summer flavor of a wheat beer in an entirely new way.
- Sip it alongside a Hefeweizen or American wheat beer and enjoy the similarity!
- Great in simple applications, such as over ice, with a splash of club soda if desired, or with lemonade (we call that one a Sommer Shandy)
- Find some great cocktails for it here – we are cocktail nerds, after all!
Updated as of March 2015 – we sold out awhile ago here at the distillery, but there are still bottles around town and a few bars have a bit in stock as well. Get it while you can! Here are some good prospects for finding it:
- Antioch: Antioch Fine Wine & Liquor
- Bloomingdale: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Champaign/Urbana: Bacaro, Binny’s Beverage Depot, Black Dog Smoke, Radio Maria, Seven Saints, Sun Singer Wine & Spirits
- Chicago: Andersonville Wine & Spirits (Andersonville), Atlas Brewing (Lakeview), Bad Apple (North Center), Baffo (River North), Bar on Buena (Lakeview), Binny’s Beverage Depot (River North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview,
South Loop), Bottlefork (River North), Bottles & Cans (North Center), Bub City (River North), Butch McGuire’s (Old Town), Clark Street Ale House (Gold Coast), Delilah’s (Lakeview), Farmhouse (Gold Coast), Fountainhead (Ravenswood), Graham Elliot Bistro (West Loop), Homestead (Bucktown), Independent Spirits (Edgewater), In Fine Spirits (Andersonville), Jerry’s Sandwiches (Andersonville & Bucktown), the Matchbox (West Town), Macy’s (on State Street), Parson’s Chicken & Fish (Logan Square), Pastoral Artisan (Lakeview), Pizza Rustica (Lakeview), Plum Market (Old Town), Printer’s Row Wine Shop (Printer’s Row), Provenance Food & Wine (Lincoln Square & Logan Square), The Radler (Logan Square), Riverview Tavern (Roscoe Village), Sepia (West Loop), Spritz Burger (Lakeview).Vas Foremost (Logan Square), Vin Chicago (Lincoln Park), Weegee’s (Logan Square), The Whistler (Logan Square), Wood (Lakeview)
- Downers Grove: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Elmwood Park: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Evergreen Park: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Glen Ellyn: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Glencoe: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Highland Park: Binny’s Beverage Depot
, Vin Chicago
- Libertyville: Gold Eagle Liquors, The Tavern
- Naperville: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Northbrook: Prairie Grass Cafe
- Orland Park: Binny’s Beverage Depot
Palos Heights: Harvest Room
- Plainfield: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Rockford: Artale’s
- Schaumburg: Binny’s Beverage Depot
Binny’s Beverage Depot,Schaefer’s, Toni’s Liquors
- St. Charles: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Westmont: Bakersfield Restaurant
- Willowbrook: Binny’s Beverage Depot
- St. Louis Area – Wine & Cheese Place (Clayton)
Carmel – Vine & Table (arriving there soon!)